A goldmine of interesting quotes from NY Times Sr. Vice President of Digital Operations Martin Nisenholtz, regarding The New York Times’ foray into online video. A sampling:
- “We started to create original video for the web – and grew a desk from a handful to 25 people completely integrated into the newsroom.”
- “Once reluctant print reporters are now carrying cameras into the field.”
- “Are reporters interested in this? It’s the opposite. We don’t have the production resources to meet the demand.”
- “What does it take to get a print reporter to do this? After about a half a day of training, the print reporters do get the basic skills they need.”
- “To reach a broader audience, the Times must distribute its video outside of NYTimes.com.”
- “Pre-rolls are fast becoming a universally accepted bad behavior-response.”
The Times creates more than 100 video pieces per month, but are still unsure of how to monetize them.