Group Hug: How to Build Community Using Forums & Social Media

(Major credit goes to Jeremiah Owyang and his community at http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/ for many (most!) of the tips listed below. I remixed many different articles & comments, so specific sources are credited at the end.) When trying to engage your industry and build community on your website, a strong focus on strategy, personal connections and specific… Continue reading Group Hug: How to Build Community Using Forums & Social Media

A Coordinated Effort: Serving Needs, Creating Revenue

In the past few weeks, I have been talking about product development in B2B media and publishing. First, we looked at how to put customer needs first, and then at revenue streams that publishers have at their disposal. Today, I want to extend this discussion by looking at how editorial, sales, and advertisers can coordinate… Continue reading A Coordinated Effort: Serving Needs, Creating Revenue

Growing in a Recession

If you work in media or publishing, please, please, please, read the 2009 State of the News Media Report. While it does not specifically focus on B2B media, the trends seen in broader news magazines, newspapers and other media are instructive. It begins very soberly: “Some of the numbers are chilling.” Full of data, the… Continue reading Growing in a Recession

Give and You Will Receive: Finding Solutions Through Collaboration.

New media and the internet have made it essential to break down barriers between your brand and your audience. Today I want to talk about breaking down barriers between employees within the same company, and how this can help your business and career. First, a story about The Clash, who are not quoted nearly enough… Continue reading Give and You Will Receive: Finding Solutions Through Collaboration.

Leveraging Community on the Web

We all want community on our websites. Readers to comment on articles. Your industry to participate in webcasts. Experts to become bloggers. Forums that are overflowing with new posts. Submissions of videos, images and other media. And yet, it is often ellusive. Even when you do create such community, it is difficult to sustain. So… Continue reading Leveraging Community on the Web

Published
Categorized as community

HyperLocal Websites: Impressive But Still Lacking a Sense of “Place”

I am playing with some local news websites, which focus on aggregating government statistics, user-generated content, and news from a variety of sources. While these site don’t feel whole yet, they offer some very compelling glimpses into how local news can be covered in the future. Here is a taste of a few of the… Continue reading HyperLocal Websites: Impressive But Still Lacking a Sense of “Place”

The Post-Page View World: The Growth of Online Communities

As many are trying to capture massive amounts of page views on the web, others are more concerned with creating real engagement with a niche audience via online communities. Jeremiah Owyang is searching for the best definition of online community. This is the one he likes best so far: “Where a group of people with… Continue reading The Post-Page View World: The Growth of Online Communities

Published
Categorized as community